MA-R to MA-C Pathways
This class is designed for working medical assistants to meet the educational requirements of Medical Assisting-Certified (MA-C) in Washington State. This is not a complete and accredited Medical Assisting program, but an accelerated path to clinical skills review for those who already have clinical experience. This hybrid class will require both online and in-person coursework. Students must be present for 4 in-class sessions and complete online assignments to pass the class.
Student's step-by-step instructions on how to get started, click here.
Fall 2020--Classroom Dates/Times
Dates (tentative): Oct 17th-18th; Oct 24th-25th; Nov 7th-8th; and Nov 14th-15th
Classroom Location: In building 26, room 220 on Highline College campus
The Department of Health also requires a national exam for MA-C. To see the full list of DOH requirements please check out their "Medical Assistant – Certified or Interim Certification Requirements" page.
Students taking this program qualify for exams based on their experience, not their education, as this is not a complete and accredited MA program. Certain exams can only be taken by completing an accredited program. To see a list of exams check out our accompanied document "Which Test?"
Students are NOT eligible to take the AAMA exam after this course.
The hybrid clinical class is one of 11 college classes needed to satisfy the Department of Health’s requirement of 720 clock hours.
The course fee includes the cost of prior learning assessment (PLA). PLA is a way to earn college credits for experience, training, or work. Many of the 11 classes can be completed through the PLA process for those with extensive healthcare experience.
Not included: national exam, transcript order, MA-C application, textbook.
Students should speak with an advisor or the course instructor to be sure they are on track toward the MA-C.
How Do I Register?
- Please begin by Applying for Admission to the College.
- Once you have completed the Application for Admission and received your Student ID Number (SID), please activate your myHighline account. https://myinfo.highline.edu/MyInfo/
- Once your myHighline account is activated, please contact the Continuing Education department at 206-592-3785 to register and pay for your class.
Cost of Program?
Students will be charged tuition pricing of 5 college credits, building/technology fees and $350 in PLA fees. Estimated total cost is $950.00.
- Delmar's Comprehensive Medical Assisting: Administrative and Clinical Competencies, 5th edition (available for rent or used online or in the Highline bookstore or you can find it on Amazon).
Required Computer access:
- Students will need to activate their Highline computer account (will receive activation letter via email once registered), check email and access Canvas before class begins.
Optional: wear scrubs and bring personal stethoscope.
"I was an ED Tech with an MA-P and many years of experience before this, and was never able to apply for MA jobs because they all require MA-C. Now with the MA-C, I can work as a medical assistant". -- Kendal Smith MAR to MAC completer
"I just received the official MA license from DOH!...Alas, all the hard work has finally been paid off, and this really means a lot to me since I had put my entire MA career on hiatus for the past 3 years. I once again am thankful to you for introducing this MAR-MAC program to me at Highline. I had the opportunity to meet a lot of fabulous classmates and instructors, as well as to learn many clinical hands-on techniques."---William Lam, MA-C
|Action||Course ID||Item #||Course Name||Instructor||Room Number||Dates||Time||Days|